Swalpa adjust madi.

Earlier this evening, the quiet of the night was shattered by the sounds of firecrackers going off. So I rushed to the window and saw beautiful patterns of light in motion against an ink black background. I glanced up at the clock and saw it was 9.30 pm. And as the decibel levels went higher and higher, my thoughts went to my sleeping 9-month-old. The church across the road was celebrating a day of some significance, and chose this obnoxiously loud manner to let the thickly populated residential neighbourhood know how happy they were.

It irked me that with a police station just 100 metres away, the neighbourhood was being robbed of its peace and quiet, and several toddlers of their much needed sleep.


Well in their defence, it's just a couple of days in the year, and surely I could 'adjust'. Well, why not.


Then I started counting the number of occasions on which I, a common citizen, was inconvenienced. 


Politician visits, road repair, bandhs, festival celebrations that spill out onto the streets, festival celebrations that spill out through loud speakers, funeral processions, marriage processions, gruhapraveshams where the street served as a dining hall, and so on and on and on. Each for just an easily manageable, day or two. Hell, I wasn't being left alone for more than a couple of weeks in a year.


And what can I do about it? Swalpa adjust madi.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those were indeed the days

The Great Indian Card Trick

Whose brand are they building anyway?